Pages

Wednesday 21 May 2014

How to Strip and Clean Metal Miniatures

I won an auction for some GW Ork Kommandos earlier this week, I'm looking forward to painting them in the near-ish future, I have a few other mini's on the go and want to finish at least 3 before I start 5 more!

So after a little search on stripping metal miniatures, note METAL miniatures. You will melt plastic and probably resin ones. I chose Acetone, and make sure you use personel Protective equipment (PPE) and clean them in a well ventilated area.

Here are the minis before I strip them, they had a rough time in the post so arms and blades need to be bent back to a nice pose.


 I removed the backpacks and bases, put the bases aside for possible recycling.


If you live in New Zealand or Australia you will have heard of Bunnings that's where I picked up some Acetone. Make sure you use gloves and do it out side, the caution is there for a reason! Pop your mini's in to the acetone and wait about 24 hours. What ever you put them in make sure you have a lid other wise the acetone will evaporate.Then you can scrub them clean.


After 24 hours the paint was coming off with ease, I tried after about 12 and the paint was a bit gloppy so left it longer. I used an old toothbrush to scrub them clean. After I had cleaned them up I washed them in hot soapy water and voila.

The acetone melted the glue holding the head and arm of one ork. There are a few mould lines to clean up.


Happy Painting

3 comments:

  1. Good tips with acetone I guess this also works with the figurines resin .
    Greetings .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acetone my melt the resin ones. Try simple green or even foaming oven cleaner works wonders in short amounts of time too.

      Delete
    2. I think Zab's correct there are safer things to use than acetone for resin, I read somewhere you will loose some of the detail as it will soften the resin. Go with simple greeen, Might have to try that test next :)

      Delete